Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This One Goes to 11


I'll admit, it has been a long time since I have really focused on music. The past few years have pretty much killed my desire to seek out new and interesting music on a regular basis. Now I find myself in the "what happened to the good music" camp also know as the "Remember when SNL wasn't a 90 minute Democratic National Committee campaign ad Committee." But I digress.

As per a request from Lovey, I managed to compile a short list of new and/or semi-new music I listen to pretty much exclusively lately.

In no particular order they are:

Open Hand ,You and me - their last album was released in 2005, I found it early 2006 and it hasn't left my car since. Driving rock with strong Melody but kind of dark like Queens of the Stone Age meets the Mamas and the Papas.

Silversun Pick Ups, Carnavas - You have probably heard "Lazy Eye". The album reflects that style throughout. More driving guitars and some darkness (are you catching onto a theme here?) but it comes off sort of sunny... much like the Nightmare Before Christmas.

The Color Fred , Bend to Break - no kidding, i found this one today. I'm going to buy it on the way home from work. It's a little more upbeat than what I'm used to but it's catchy. I'm too old to go to see these kinds of bands in concert as Security will usually point me to the parents waiting room on the way in but I can rock it in the car for sure. Fred was the guitarist for Taking Back Sunday, and it sounds alot like Dashboard Confessional without all the 14 year old girls screaming the lyrics behind you.

Band of Horses, Cease to Begin - I came across these guys by accident. They have a song called "The Great Salt Lake" that I couldn't get enough of when I heard it. I'd recommend either of their albums, but Cease to Begin is the better of the two. The lead singer's voice may take some getting used to... give it a couple of listens and I think it'll grow on you. Listen to "Is There a Ghost", then "no One's Ever Gonna Love You" (but don't watch the videos, they're dumb).


That's pretty much my library right now except a couple of mix tapes I made like 4 years ago and Drew's Halloween Party Songs for Kids. So you can imagine how excited I will be when the rest of you have recommendations for all of us!

PS - I did attend a concert recently where I heard some fantastic new music in the beautiful settings of the largest man made waterfall west of the Mississippi. And I am anxiously awaiting their arrival in CD or MP3 formats (I'm looking at you Bart Fargo...)

Anyhoo, discuss....

3 comments:

Bart Fargo said...

You don't have our record any more? I gave you a copy when it came out in 2005 (has it been that long?) If you are talking that one, yeah, I can hook you up, but if you are talking NEW material, you may have to wait a little longer to get that. We are about 6 songs in to 13-24, and it is going to be killer....or, at least I think so!

Skooch said...

I still have the record, I was focusing more on the new stuff. I thought it was great. Can't wait to hear it recorded!

Bart Fargo said...

I love you, Skuddy VanHoldawitz!