Saturday, October 4, 2008

Noble Birthright?

The folks are in town and I took them to see the Studebaker Museum in South Bend.  Loved it, and I love even more that they had the unfortunate remains of the original car that Fozzie's hibernating uncle loaned him so Kermit and he could get to Hollywood.  You know, all the music in "The Muppet Movie" is so amazing simply because it was written by Paul Williams.  Just goes to show that there is life beyond "Smokie and the Bandit."

Just got home from going to the Priesthood session of Conference with my dad (I figure that since we are all Men here, and we all know where we came from, it is safe to bring religion into this.) As much as I love Conference and am secure in my faith, sometimes you have to ask yourselves a simple question: why were so many of The Brethren raised on farms?

Don't get me wrong; I will sustain and defend till the day I die and beyond, and by no means am I making light, but was there some kind of ethic instilled in the youth of the rural farming concern of the pre-War era that inspired a boom the production of future G.A.'s? You kind of have to wonder what the Conference Talks are going to sound like when we are going to Priesthood Sessions with our sons ("One summer my father gave me the stewardship of overseeing our family's thriving dot-com and investing the proceeds into a high-yield money market account. Having recently been ordained a Deacon..." No, how about "Before our Missions, my pal Dan and I worked together at Abercrombie...")

One thing is for sure, though the attire may be right, today's Deacons might take heed from the proceedings today, otherwise they will end up like these saps:



Bloom County warned us about this! Dunno, my hotness is waiting for me and I need sleep. 

2 comments:

Skooch said...

In my mission we had 2 kinds of elders from farm country:
a) Those who will be apostles
2) Those who apostles talk about when they are trying to scare you.

go figure...

Dean-O said...

All I know is that if KISS had been in my mission dressed like that, we'd have had a lot more success.