Monday, October 13, 2008

Eastbound and Down

_____


Hello MC from LA. I am blogging from Century City-- where I can re-live my dream of being Laura Holt from "Remington Steele." Can't believe I'm actually blogging while on the road...Scottie- What have you done to me??

Well, today was unbelievable and I just needed to share what happened with the couch.

I had a meeting this morning with a gentleman from Paramount Studios. His father used to attend Duke Law and this gentleman wants to make a gift in honor of his father. The Dean had asked me to follow-up with him. All I really knew going into the meeting was that he produced "Bull Durham"-- and since I think I am the token sports fan of the couch some of you may not have seen this but it is definitely one of the best sports movies of all time. It was filmed in my new hometown of Durham and is well-loved here.

We start chatting about movies, etc and he tells me that he was the head of Universal Studios at the age of 26 and produced the following films:

Animal House
Scarface
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Coal Miner's Daughter
Can't Buy Me Love
The Breakfast Club

and yes,.....SMOKEY And the BANDIT!!! I about fell out of my chair. He talked about how important Jerry Reed's song was for the whole film and how he intentionally released it early (which I guess you didn't do in Hollywood at the time). It was totally fascinating and all I could think about was letting the MC know. I feel like I'm in some sort of Man's Couch Vortex (not the club/cages)...it's like everywhere I turn I'm either seeing flashes of the past or things I can't wait to share in the present. IT ROCKS!!






___________________________________________________

Man's Couch is a community. If you are interested in becoming a member or a guest contributor feel free to contact us directly!!

2 comments:

Bart Fargo said...

Well, miss Lovey, seems like you are ALWAYS a VIP when you travel in the greater LA area. Sounds pretty killer, hanging with the elite and so forth. My elite-ism has kind-of faded as of late. Emily and I were commuting to work this morning and she was asking me if my "Hollywood" self could see me now -domesticated, working a corporate job, with a baby on the way (not to mention more plump and with less hair,)- what would he say? Knowing what it took to get me here, I am sure LA-Kev would stand up and applaud. Don't get me wrong, LA will always be my home; I never really fit in Utah so I always claim SoCal as my place of origin...which it is. But, I love small-town, no traffic, friendly people, in close proximity to a big city America. The leather pants still make an occasional appearance, but I am almost at the point where I start to look like I am fooling myself, like a member of REO Speedwagon or something.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you met with the guy behind the guy behind the guy!! True power players on this list!! Awesome adventure!! Thankfully I got to you just in time with this blog thing... I mean, where else can you go with that kind of story and get any kind of a reaction?!?