Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Only B Movie I Ever Need to See

1986 was definately one of the Golden Years; the Salad Days as some say. Sammy Hagar debuted with Van Halen, Tommy Lee married Heather Locklear, Skid Row is formed, Reagan is still president, Duran Duran becomes a 3-some, Top Gun is in theaters, as is Crocodile Dundee and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

And if you're talking about B movies my mind has to wonder back to a flick I'm not sure was considered a "B" at the time (who were they kidding?). However, it still stands as one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME:

Rad - Starring Bill Allen and Lori Loughlin.

It's the story of Cru Jones, a young man who can overcome all obstacles that prevent him from participating in the BMX race "Helltrack." As he works towards his dream, Cru falls in love with Christian, an amateur racer. With the help of Christian and her friends, can Cru's "Rad Racing Team" defeat the top BMX factory rider, Bart Taylor?



I don't remember BMX bikes being allowed at my stake dances... Nevertheless, this movie, this song, and many stake dance memories will always be with me!

Btw: '86 was all shits n giggles. It was also the year Metallica crashed their bus and lost Cliff Burton, The Smith's play their final gig as a 5-piece, and Wham! broke up. Ed was inconsulable...

4 comments:

Dean-O said...

Wasn't '86 also the year that Josh Brolin taught us how to love again in the skatebaord epic "Thrashin?"

Good times.

Skooch said...

Damn that Josh Brolin! He's using us and we're not even smart enough to know it! (name that reference and Ill give you a dollar).

My only real skater movie reference is Gleaming the Cube with none other than Christian Slater, but that didnt come along until '89. I can still see Tony Hawk and Tommy Guerrero skating 'til they died.

Dean-O said...

"They're not losers; they're my disciples!"

Ah, Sam Kinison. Gone too soon.

Also, I can honestly say I've never had my cube gleamed. At least not by Christian Slater.

Skooch said...

You're the only one! (where should i send the dollar?)