Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Could This Be Magic? I THINK SO!!



Hi boys-

After a DELIGHTFUL mini-Man's Couch reunion, I am now in the thriving rainbow metropolis of San Francisco. Reading all the Rick Astley commentary led me to post the above performance....and yes, this is a new track from Barry's latest. I now have confirmation that Barry and I share a connection since his 80's covers CD includes "Careless Whisper." Dean-o--have you found any Mash-ups that include Barry? Just a thought for your next compilation!

I do have a bit of a rant...or at least a bit of weirdness from home. So my baby sister, Lindsey, and I are chatting about her upcoming graduation from good old high school. The topic of class songs comes up and I ask her if they have picked one. She says, "Yes, and I think you might know it." I am hoping that I do since I don't follow everything as closely as I used to. But no worries, because they have chosen "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey as their song!! Now, I have no issues with the song..in fact I pretty much love everything Journey did and sing this regularly at Karaoke. However, this was put out like a billion years ago....is there no one out now writing great class songs? I mean, hasn't Fall Out Boy or All-American Rejects put out something? Or one of the many American Idol Pop Stars? Or maybe I should take comfort that this generation recognizes the greatness that was the 80's? I actually wish this had been my class song...we had a run off between U2's "Pride" and Motely Crue's "Changes" and Motely Crue won......

I would also like to second Mr. Fargo's love for the British group, McFly...who I love but I'm sure you are not surprised by Lovey loving all things British. I have actually been on a kick of British ladies vocal power lately but I am transitioning into my "Last Christmas" marathon. More later...

3 comments:

Dean-O said...

Yeah, I don't think that high school kids should be claiming songs that were released before they were born as "their song." Especially not a song about two crazy kids who meet on a midnight train going anywhere...

Bart Fargo said...

....I think....I am going to be sick. Lovey, dearest, as much as I have always loved you, I will never be able to come to grips with your Manalo fixation. I know there are plenty of Manalo-niacs out there, but usually they are menopausal, late-middle-aged early grandmothers who think Josh Groban has talent. Why you? What is the deal with him casting aside his only redeeming value (that of being the guy who writes the songs that make the young girls cry,) to essentially become a bad lounge singer who covers once-mediocre pop music? Sorry, I just don't get it. On your Journey thing, great songs never become less great with time, they only get better. The before-mentioned Journey classic is definitely on my Top 5 Greatest Songs list, and the fact that it is still becoming the class song for High Schools today gives me hope for the rising generation. Just picked up McFly's Greatest Hits at a market in Beijing, and it has a cover of Jellyfish's classic "Baby's Coming Back." If only the boy bands in the states were as smart.

Lovey said...

Kev- I know my Manilow fascination is not easy to understand. Maybe I'll write a post about it someday. In the meantime, thanks for enduring my post and I can't wait to hear McFly's Jellyfish cover...I'm looking for it now. Hope you get back safe and sound.