Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas in China?




Ahoy from my favorite city in the world, Beijing. I come here about four times a year on business, and this time was a spur of the moment thing, as I flew for 14 hours to have two days of meetings and fly back, so I am using my last day to do something productive: Christmas Shopping! Skutch's Squeeze recently got to experience this magical place as part of her standard Olympic activities, and knows exactly what I mean when I say that I never get tired of this city. The afore-mentioned world-uniting games have had an amazing affect on this city and its people, and as much as I have had an affinity for all that they are, I love them even more now.

Although, I think the recent economic panic is hitting things at the most base level here in the city. As odd as it is to walk down the thoroughfare in Mao's shining Buddhist pearl and see Christmas lights twinkling everywhere, it is even more disturbing to be propositioned by young girls asking if I want "..girley massagey or sex" a record six times in less than a mile on an evening with 0-degree wind chill. Usually my little walk to the Silk Street will feature one proposition (last time I was here one rolled up to a German colleague and I riding a bike!) But 6 times? It makes me so sad for these poor, beautiful girls who think their only means of living is pleasing fat Australian businessmen for, and I quote, "...cheap money, no probrem!"

On the lighter side, I am glad to see that the 'Couch is in full Yule-tide swing. Every time I listen to "The Charley Brown Christmas" album by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, I always think of hanging with Skutch at the Man's Pad in Murray. Good times. I fly back today, and fully look forward to rocking with y'all in the City of Salt. Peace on Earth, and Good Will to All!

No comments: